Saturday, October 21, 2017

Just Keep Swimming!

My boyfriend broke up with me. I won't talk about it in length, don't worry. :)

I was talking to my friend J – the only person I told about the break-up, and only because she was the only person to ask, haha – about the loneliness, and all this free time I suddenly have, and I mentioned how I was thinking of enrolling in some weekend classes to keep my mind busy.

In high school, I took up French language as an elective, and was lucky enough to be sent to Paris, France for a brief learning tour. My first course in university was BA in European Languages, with Russian as my major, minoring in French (don't question my life choices, lol). I did not finish that degree, switching out for an allied medical field (nursing and pharmacy, both of which I did finish).

J is learning Spanish on her own, which is all kinds of amazing, and she encouraged me to get back to learning languages again. I was actually thinking of basic mechanics thing or sewing, but she's made me realize I miss languages. I do not have the discipline for self-learning so I decided to look into non-degree language courses offered in the university close to my workplace (my very first university, as a matter of fact).

The good news is, they do offer them, 30 hours for each level. The not-good news is the class cycle is already underway and the next batch of classes would be on December or January. So J recommended that I sign up at Duolingo for now, a self-paced web resource for learning tons of new languages. I did, and have started with basics of Russian again.

People gym, I language. (After a heartbreak.)

No comments:

Post a Comment