Friday, January 27, 2017

(My) Yarn Sources in the Philippines

(List in progress, since I don't really have the energy to finish in one go.)

My animal spirit must be part-dragon, since I have a tendency to hoard the things I've taken a liking to, haha. Yarn hoarding is somewhat expensive, especially if, like me, you don't make money off the finished objects. Aside from the expense, it's a bit difficult to source them, because Philippines, haha.  For smaller amigurumi, sure, you can get ahold of enough yarns in bookstores and markets, but for larger pieces like garments, choices were quite limited.

It is with great pleasure that for the past couple of years, yarn crafts are steadily getting more popular (or popular again, I don't know ^^:;;) and more and more sellers are popping up, offering not just international, well-known brands, but their very own variations. :) I tend to go for online stores because, well, I believe that if you can shop it online, then that's the way to go, haha. Except for shoes, anyway.

As I've discovered, we may not have those scrumptious yarns seen in those with cooler climates, but we do have our own local yarns! Baguio cotton, Baguio kulot, Vigan yarns. I hope to find out more!

Here's a list of stores I've bought from, online and/or physical. I've come across other sellers, but I'll be focusing on ones I've had actual experience with. (I think all of them also carry other products such as hooks, needles, notions, etc.)

I'm still a baby at yarn-hoarding, but I hope to expand this list. My BFF may think otherwise, since he says I have no self-control and spends too much on yarns (and food).

NOTES ON ONLINE SHOPS: Most of these shops are on facebook, which is pretty neat since the sellers are accessible through messaging. A lot of them also sell using the mine game. If you're not familiar with that, it works like this: the first to comment "mine" would get the item. So for very limited quantity yarns, it gets kind of frustrating since you gotta be fast. Also, for sellers who don't give a preview of what they'll be selling, there's a chance of saying mine to a yarn you only like a little and not really like-like, just in case you don't get a crack at other yarns. Or if you're slow, you'll be left with the leftover yarns.

From the pages I follow, they do announce the date and time when they'll be selling; most are in the evenings, usually coinciding when I'm at work (night shift) or on my way from work (day shift). :( My mobile internet also gets spotty at times, huhu. I think it's better to be on a desktop computer for these things. I prefer pre-ordering, if you can't tell. :)

YARN SOURCE MANILA
Online: Yarn Source Manila @ FB
Physical: By appointment, I believe. Located somewhere in Taguig (this was from before; I'm not sure if they still do this)

I believe this is my first foray into acquiring not-acrylic yarns, lol. When I first found this store back in 2013, it used to be that they would announce when new yarns would be available, then it's kind of a feeding frenzy, except it's yarns we're after. Now that I think of it, this must be the first iteration of the mine game. I've bought a lot of their hand-dyed 8-ply cotton yarns (also available in 10-ply, I think) in solid and variegated colors. The colors are pastel (something like that? Not bright and intense, anyway) and had cutesy names, which might have been inspired by My Little Pony. Quantity is limited and used to go quite fast, so sometimes I ended up buying colors I don't really like or need. Because I'm a sore loser and I just want yarns, OK.

Transactions are done through facebook (I used their site before; they don't have it now. You order on their site, then wait for their email for your total amount, since they need to compute for shipping. Mode of payment was through bank deposit). I haven't bought from them in years, but as I remember, the owner was quite nice and responsive to questions. I got a freebie the first time I ordered.^_^)

The yarns are quite sturdy. I prefer to use them for slipper/shoes.

Shoes worked using Yarn Source Manila's 8-ply hand-dyed cotton yarns in Cinnabelle and Beauty Brass


Update! I will have to contact the seller to verify, but it seems to me that you can still get the same yarns from Buffy Sibayan's facebook page (owner of Loony Looms Crochet, which I believe is affiliated with YSM). And since I've already mentioned her page, might as well talk about her shop.

As I've said before, Buffy Sibayan's yarns look remarkably similar to YSM's. I haven't tried hers yet but most of her products are hand-dyed cotton yarns. They come in solid, variegated, and gradient colors. Bright, cheery colors for the most part; no deep jewel tone colors as far as I've seen. From the comments of past buyers, her yarns are lightly scented and smell so good!

I'm not sure if she sells them individually, but from what I know, she mostly sells sampler lots which cost Php 350 (I think sampler lots are, as the name implies, yarns in reduced amount, so one sampler lot may contain as much as six cakes).


GANTSILYO GURU SELECTIONS
Online: Website | FB
Physical: Unit 306 Emerald Place 604 Shaw Bvd., Bgy Kapitolyo, Pasig City 1603 (please see their site for directions. Or you can just take an Uber there, like me. Or if you're commuting, here's how I did it, coming from North: your MRT stop is Shaw Blvd. Go down on the opposite side (don't use the southmost exit! You should exit right on Shaw Blvd, with Shangri-la across. No need to cross here, just ride a Rosario Palengke-bound jeep; depending on how strict traffic laws are being enforced that day, you can hail a jeep near the corner, or walk a few meters ahead. Once you see a Caltex station on a corner to the right, you know you're almost there, so get ready to tell Manong to let you off. Their store is in the building right before Hong Kong Noodles & Dimsum House.)

I first became aware of this shop when I was looking for bulky yarns. I didn't buy from GG then because their products are just a bit more expensive (their Red Heart With Love costs around 30 to 50 pesos more than in Divisoria). That was when I was into acrylics, as I suspect most people are when starting their crochet journey.

Last year, I was looking for bulky yarns again, this time for the Psyduck hat Baba requested. The shop at Divisoria where I bought the big Red Heart acrylic yarns did not have the colors I needed. That's when I found GG again. I ordered from their own line, Gantsilyo Guru Bulky Cashmere Blend.

It was the wrong type for the hat, of course. In my defense, all I've ever had were acrylic and cotton yarns, and I don't think I have any clothes made from cashmere, which is why I had no idea of its texture and feel. So I decided to go directly to their store so I can personally see what yarns are available, feel them, marvel at them, haha.

I was a bit nervous at first, but as soon as I saw the yarns, it felt like heaven. GG carries different brands like Aunt Lydia's, Caron, Hamanaka, Ice, Lion Brand, etc. They also have their own Gantsilyo Guru yarns. It was a treat to see them all lined up, in differing colors and textures. I spent some time just going from yarn to yarn, touching, bouncing, comparing, smelling.

Here are some of the yarns I bought:

Bulky Cashmere Blend - true to its name, it *is* bulky. It is also smooth and shiny~ I love my skirt made from this (formerly a Psyduck hat, reworked into a skirt, haha)

Vanessa Montoro-inspired skirt made using Gantsilyo Guru Bulky Cashmere Blend

Light Cashmere Blend - soft, also shiny, does not fray easily. I crochet tightly so I think that's the reason the dress did not have any ease. I put on weight before I finished this dress which is why I ended up giving this to my cousin. I have no idea how it's holding up now. ^^;;

Lace dress made using Gantsilyo Guru Light Cashmere Blend

Dapper Dreamer Bamboo Cotton - I haven't used it, haha. The yarn has bright stuff wound into it. I gotta find something to use it for soon, it's so pretty.

Dapper Dreamer Bamboo Cotton

The owner, Ms Trey, is super friendly and available for questions you may have, or if you just want to talk, she's up for it. I've seen some customers hang out there and work on their projects for a while. On subsequent visits, I've gathered my courage and attempted small talk with her. I've told her that I was glad for the variety her shop offers and she said that she hopefully expands her stocks even more.

TL;DR I like Gantsilyo Guru because it's a no fuss shop, online or physical (no mine game!), with several modes of payment available (I once went without cash, thank goodness for online bank transfers).

GINANTSILYONG NILIKHA
Online: FB | Shopee

Currently, my only source for Vigan yarns. I can't actually tell the difference between Baguio and Vigan yarns. Anway, Jo, owner of Ginantsilyong Nilikha, sells both on FB and Shopee, She prefers that her buyers use Shopee since it frequently offers free shipping for set minimum amounts, favorable for the buyer. I've taken advantage of the free sf every time, although sometimes it may take a day or two longer for a purchase to go through since every transaction undergoes a verification process. Win-win in my book, well worth the delay since it guarantees safety for both of us.

Her Vigan yarns come in lots colors, and compared to other local yarns, are a lot cheaper.

Slouchy hat using Vigan yarns in magenta and pecan colors



Granny cocoon using Vigan sushi cake

Next:
Sugar Free Fiber Arts
Gwendoline-fergus Crochet
Crocheted by Carisse
Ashley's Crochet
Michelle's Ribbon and Lace Center

Everson Modiste
Pacific Textile Traders

No comments:

Post a Comment